Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Road Trip... Part One

So there’s progress on the house, if you count having no walls, no electricity, no kitchen and one barely useable bathroom progress.  I keep telling myself that it must get worse to get better.  It has and it will.  I can walk through the front door and see the beautifully large living room space, followed by the huge dining and kitchen area.  The kitchen is so large, in fact, that I’m a little lost as to what to do with it.  It’s the entire width of the house, about 25 feet, and pretty close to square, with a separate large pantry area (that used to be attached to a bathroom oddly enough) AND another separate area we are planning for a built-in breakfast nook (the bathroom, minus the walls).  The problem is that there is very little wall space for cabinets, so we’re working on a creative way to build the island that will be both ultra functional and kinda cool looking.  Anyway, there’s progress, but we’re a long, long way from moving in.  And did I mention that we’ve rented out our condo so we’ve moved into a 2 bedroom basement suite that’s about half the square footage of the condo until the house is ready?  Packing was a real treat.  I always had three boxes on the go; storage, basement suite and trip.  Then once we moved into the basement suite I went through the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms again to purge nearly another fifty percent of stuff into storage.  This is what prompted a month long “vacation” to visit family, that starts with a two-day road trip.  Hubby is staying at home and using the next month to get as much done as he possibly can on the house… when he’s not working his real job, that is.

I currently sit in the back seat of my dads minivan, between my two year old daughter and my two month old son and we are about six hours into Day One of the road trip.  The kids have just traded places in the sleep department.  The girl finally passed out after a couple episodes of Toopy and Binoo and several rounds of The Ants Go Marching In, just in time for the Little Man to open his eyes and want some playtime. I tried to plan for every possibility and so far, knock on wood, I’ve been well prepared.  We’ll see what the next few hours bring.  As I type now, I just glanced up at the battery life on my laptop.  It’s in the red.  I guess that means it’s time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment