Thursday, July 29, 2010

We Are Family

I was intensely reminded recently of how much I miss my family and how important a strong family is to a healthy state of mind.  You see, I live a good two-day drive from all but my Dad and one of my brothers.  If you consider that my grandparents, on their 60th wedding anniversary, were given a single rose from each of their grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren, totaling a whopping 60 roses, I’d say that I miss a lot where my family is concerned, simply by being so far away.  I hear about all the births, deaths, marriages, divorces, and all the drama in between (or some of it, at least) but it’s only about once a year that I actually get to physically get together with my huge clan.
It’s been a big year.  My grandmother, probably the most amazing woman I’ve ever known, just turned 91 and in years since my grandparents 60th anniversary the clan has produced around 20 or so great and great-great grandchildren.  So we had a little get together to celebrate her birthday and all the new babies.  While we were celebrating, in fact, another great granddaughter was born.
Honestly, the gathering was chaos, but it was chaos of the best possible kind.  There were kids everywhere, from my second cousins one-week old boy to my nephew’s five-year old son.  My two-year old daughter was overwhelmed with all her new cousins.  As far as she knew, she only had three cousins!  She had suddenly hit the cousin jackpot.  Everywhere she looked there were new playmates, all around her age.  I remember that feeling from when I was young and living near this part of my family.  It was a unique kind of belonging that I’ve never felt anywhere else and I want it so badly for my kids.
My Gran was in her glory, with new babies to hold, and older kids coming by to chat and hug and sing happy birthday.  The pride in her eyes as she looked around at her crew was massive.  I remember a few years ago at my grandfather’s funeral, a reminder that his family; his children, grandchildren, great and great-great grandchildren, was the thing he was most proud of in his life.  I don’t know if this appreciation of my family was instilled by my grandparents alone, but I know it started with them, and it continues because of them.
Don’t get me wrong, I love and appreciate the family I share with my hubby at home, but there’s just something about the madness created by 40 some odd family members (the children nearly outnumbering the adults) reminiscing and getting to know each other all over again.  If everyone felt a part of something this big and this strong, the world would be a far better place.  It’s hard to feel lost or hurt or angry when surrounded by that much love.  Family is that double edged sword sometimes.  On one side you're stuck with maybe some people that you wouldn't choose to know otherwise, but on the other side you're surrounded by people who love you just because.  I'll take it.  It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment